Wednesday 21st September marks National Fitness Day – a day committed to celebrating how physical activity affects our physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
This year, the theme centres around how fitness unites us and brings people and communities together – and while our goals and motivations to exercise may differ, everyone is here to reap the many benefits it has to offer – whether that be to build muscle, tone up, or a chance to socialise.
National Fitness Day is a fantastic opportunity for people to be active and challenge themselves to try something new, especially as there is such a wide range of activities available for people to choose from.
With so many ways of working out, it’s sometimes easier to stick to what you know, but in today’s fast-paced environment it’s in our nature to get bored easily. It can also be overwhelming when it comes to working out as there is too much to choose from!
To help challenge people this National Fitness Day, I’ve included five exercise suggestions to help people across the nation mix up their fitness routine and try something new.
1. Attend a fitness class you haven’t tried before as there are so many out there including spin, yoga and body tone. We have more than 70 classes at Total Fitness to choose from
2. Go for a swim if you’re not a regular swimmer as there are so many benefits to this form of exercise
3. Speak to a trainer at your gym and ask for advice on how to use a piece of equipment you haven’t tried before but have always wanted to
4. Encourage one of your friends to come and do a workout with you if you usually exercise alone or struggle to exercise at all, as a partner can always help to keep you motivated
5. Try a new sport you’ve never done before, whether that be a racket sport like squash or a team game at your local club
Make the most of the facilities you have in your local community and enjoy exercising on the most active day of the year. Break down those barriers to something you’ve always wanted to try this National Fitness Day.